52nd Heyrovsky Discussion took place on 16 - 20th June 2019 in the Liblice castel
This conference has been organized annually by J. Heyrovsky Institute of Physical Chemistry of the Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague. Moreover, in this year, similarly as in 2012 and 2014, this conference was organized in cooperation with the Institute of Biophysics of the Czech Academy of Sciences, Brno, Czech Republic. The tradition of this series of conferences was started in 1967 and maintained for 24 years by Professor A.A.Vlček, then director of the J. Heyrovský Institute. Later, the organization of these meetings has been circulating among senior scientists (electrochemists) of the J. Heyrovský Institute under patronage of the Institute’s director.
The general philosophy of the Discussions is to invite experienced scientists specialized in a certain field (each year a specific field of electrochemistry is selected as the main discussion theme) together with students or young research workers, and to let them present in an informal way their most recent research achievements and participate in friendly scientific discussion. Every session is opened by an introductory lecture (30 min). After that, oral presentations announced in the program (15-20 min long) follow, accompanied by free discussion.
Among organizers of these conferences have been many ISE members (e.g., Prof. Jiří Ludvík – 2013 and 2017, Assoc. Prof. Tomáš Navrátil 2012 and 2014, Prof. Kavan 2011, Prof. Mareček 2009, Dr. Hromadová 2006, Assoc. Prof. Miroslav Fojta). Some of these conferences belonged to ISE-sponsored meetings (e.g., 2013, 2014) (http://www.ise-online.org/sponsmeet/past_sponsered_events.php).
In the year 2019, assoc. Prof. Tomáš Navrátil, Ph.D. (ISE Member) from J. Heyrovský Institute and Assoc. Prof Fojta form the Institute of Biophysics were charged by organization of this conference (http://www.jh-inst.cas.cz/~hdisc/2019/history.htm).
Topics and subtopics
Each year a different field of electrochemistry is selected as the discussion theme. Their list you can find at http://www.jh-inst.cas.cz/~hdisc/2019/history.htm
Electrochemical investigation of organic compounds, biopolymers and studies of mechanisms of related electrode processes are the main topic of the 52th Heyrovsky Discussion with the following subtopics:
Structure-reactivity relationship in redox-active molecular systems
- redox mechanistic studies of organic and coordination compounds
- bond activation by electron transfer
- electron transfer in molecules with multiple redox centers
- correlation of experimental data with theoretical calculations
Electrochemistry and electroanalysis of drugs, bioactive compounds, genotoxic and ecotoxic substances
- traditional vs. novel electrode materials
- combination of electrochemistry with other techniques (e.g., spectroscopic methods)
- novel electrochemical (bio)sensors/(bio)assays and their applications
- electrochemistry of natural, chemically modified and synthetic nucleic acids
- protein electrochemistry and electroanalysis: structure and interaction effects
- catalytic hydrogen evolution and other catalytic processes employed in biopolymer electrochemistry
- electrochemistry of natural and chemically modified carbohydrates
Biological membranes, their mimics and transporting processes
- transporting processes across membranes
- transport through nanopores
Novel materials and nanotechnology for electrochemical sensors
- electrode materials and surface modifications
- nanostructured surfaces for electrochemical (bio)sensing
- nanoobjects for biopolymer labeling
The conference was organized under scientific cooperation of:
- J. Heyrovsky Institute of Physical Chemistry of the Czech Academy of Science, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague;
- Institute of Biophysics of the Czech Academy of Science, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic;
- Assoc. Prof. RNDr. Miroslav Fojta, PhD., Member of the of the Working group of Analytical Chemistry of the Czech Chemical Society, ISE regional representative for the Czech Republic, head of the Department of Biophysical Chemistry and Molecular Oncology, Institute of Biophysics of the Czech Academy of Sciences, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Brno, Czech Republic (about 220 papers in WOS, about 5850 citations (incl. self-citations), about 4450 citations (autocit. excl.), H-index 46 - according to the WOS),
- Assoc. Prof. Ing. Tomáš Navrátil, Ph.D., Member of the Board of the Czech Chemical Society, Scientific Secretary of the Working group of Analytical Chemistry of the Czech Chemical Society, Scientific Secretary of the Working group of Toxicology of the Czech Chemical Society, Research Worker of the J. Heyrovsky Institute of Physical Chemistry of the Czech Academy of Sciences and of the Charles University, First Faculty of Medicine, Department of Biochemistry and Laboratory Diagnostics, all Czech Republic (175 papers in WOS, about 3300 citations (incl. self-citations), about 1850 citations (autocit. excl.) according to WOS + about 150 more (according to Scopus) (autocit. excl.), H-index 34 - according to the WOS);
Assoc. Prof. Tomáš Navrátil, Ph.D. (ISE Member)
J. Heyrovsky Institute of Physical Chemistry of the Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague, Czech Republic.
Assoc. Prof. Miroslav Fojta, Ph.D. (ISE Member)
Institute of Biophysics of the Czech Academy of Sciences, Brno, Czech Republic;
Lenka Srsenová - BEST Servis, Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic - a professional company specialized in technical realization of congresses, conferences, symposia, seminars, workshops, professional exhibitions, and accompanying presentation events (President of the Company – Mrs. Lenka Srsenova was responsible for technical organization of the conference (http://www.bestservis.eu/en/; email@example.com).
- The conference was started by introductory speeches by Assoc. Prof. T. Navrátil and by Assoc. Prof. M. Fojta, members of The Scientific Committee
- ISE regional representative for Czech Republic Assoc. Prof. Fojta mentioned in his short lecture ISE, its importance, activities, events (co)organized by ISE, membership in this society, ISE Annual meeting in Durban, Topical meetings, etc. organized in 2019 and in 2020.
- Logos of ISE were on the chairman’s table during the conference.
- Logos of ISE were printed on all conference documents (announcements, program, book of proceedings, etc.).
This year, the conference was sponsored by:
- International Society of Electrochemistry (http://www.ise-online.org/; http://www.ise-online.org/sponsmeet/sponsered_events.php).
- METROHM Česká republika, s.r.o. (http://www.metrohm.cz)
- KomArr, www.comarr.cz
- Fisher Scientific (part of Thermo Fisher Scientific), www.thermofishercz
- 2Theta, Czech Republic, www.2theta.cz
- Eco-Trend Plus, s.r.o.
- ChemPubSoc Europe
Number of participants of the conference in 2019: 48 (including ISE members from different countries, ISE regional representative for Czech Republic and former ISE regional representative for Czech Republic, ISE division Chair Elect, the former vice director of Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, etc.). The participants were from Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Germany, Russia, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Japan, Slovenia, Poland, Turkey, Hungary, USA, etc.
Number of pages in proceedings books: 46
Number of lectures: 46 in 10 lecture blocks
The Book of Abstract follows international editorial conventions. The abstracts are written in English. The literature citation rules are identical with those valid for the journal “Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry”. The Book of Abstracts was published in printed form (and is available for on request). This year, the Book of Abstracts is available at the following www address: http://www.jh-inst.cas.cz/~hdisc/2019/. Each contribution was accepted for publication after reviewing by members of the Scientific committee (the revisions included the formal aspects, the overall quality of the research presented, the completeness of the cited references, etc.).