We planned a free afternoon on thursday June 22 for you to relax and have an opportunity to explore Znojmo and its surroundings, which offer a rich choice of cultural as well as sports activities. We enthusiastically recommend you to stay in Znojmo for (at least a part of) the weekend between the satellite symposium and the main ICQC congress to enjoy a few of them.
We offer a guided tour of the Znojmo downtown with a degustation of local wines and excursion to the historic Znojmo underground. The price for this option is 25 EUR, to be paid in cash on June 22. The excursion is limited to maximum of 20 persons. Please send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested to participate.
There are several other options how to spend the afternoon:
- Participants accomodated in the conference hotel have a free access to the hotel's indoor swimming pool and sauna.
- You can explore the Znojmo downtown at your own pace and leisure and possibly visit also the Znojmo Castle and its museum.
- The national park around the Dyje river offers several pedestrian trails for a walk (easy hike) in the beautiful nature along the river. You can start the walk at the hotel, no extra transportation is needed.
- Depending on current weather, you might enjoy a swim in a flooded former quarry 'Masovicky lom' , which offers very clean water in a nice natural environment and is accessible by local bus line no. 817, or you can use a rental bike for this trip (see below).
- You can rent a mountainbike or electric bike here or here for a trip in the national park along the Dyje river and surrounding wineyards. A small number of rental bikes might be available directly at the hotel. You can find bicycle trails on this map.
Finally, below we give a few tips for individual consideration, particularly if you plan staying over the weekend:
- You can rent a car at the local branch of the TravelCar company and explore the South Moravian region. If you are interested in history, here is a list of interesting castles and chateaux in the vicinity of Znojmo. Another place worth seeing is the Chateau Lednice, a true architectonic gem registered in the Unesco world heritage. It can be conveniently visited if you go from Znojmo to Bratislava by car.
- You can rent a canoe in Znojmo for a one-day trip downstream the Dyje river (canoe transport is included in the rental).
- The country hotel and ranch in the nearby village Hnanice offers both wine tastings and horseback rides in the Dyje national park (recommended to do in the opposite order).
- If you would like to explore Znojmo and the surrounding region from the bird's perspective, contact the Aeroclub at the Znojmo airfield, local pilots offer scenic flights in light sport or small general aviation aircrafts.