***NEW full- timeÂ postdoc position available
at the Department of Chemistry of Ions in Gaseous Phase
J. HeyrovskĂ˝ Institute of Physical Chemistry of the CAS, v. v. i. (Prague, Czech Republic)
The position is opened immediately for 3 years.
The postdoc will work on the development of a new analytical method for absolute quantification of trace gaseous analytes using Secondary Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry, SESI-MS, technique. This position will be funded from a GACR project.
In the first year of project the postdoc will work on the development and construction of a new SESI ion source with the possibility to control the ionisation conditions and parameters. In the next phase the postdoc will be involved in the description of kinetics of ion-molecule reaction and construction of a numerical model of reaction kinetics allowing absolute trace gas quantification.
The developed numerical model will be validated on case studies using real samples, including volatile metabolites released by bacterial cultures and food samples, and those present in exhaled breath of groups of patients and healthy controls in collaboration with clinics. Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry, GC-MS, and Selected Ion Flow Tube Mass Spectrometry, SIFT-MS, will be used to verify the method developed for absolute quantification. Results will be published in peer-reviewed impacted scientific journals.
About the employer:
The work will be carried out at the Department of Chemistry of Ions in Gaseous Phase (head Prof. PatrikÂ Spanel (h-index 51) under supervision of Dr. Kseniya Dryahina. The laboratory is one of the leading workplaces in the area of soft chemical ionization mass spectrometry in Europe. The focus is on the validated quantitation of volatile compounds in air or breath.
Desired skills and experience:
- Higher degree in physics or chemistry
- Knowledge of mass spectrometry
- Experience in experimental research (3 years minimum)
- Knowledge of numerical methods for modelling
- Good communications skills in English language
- Experience with publication of results in peer-reviewed papers
- Experiences with electrospray ionization mass spectrometry
- Experimental skills in electronics, vacuum technology and programming for data processing and Â analysis (for example C#, R project,Â Arduino)
- Knowledge of CAD for simple design of components (for example ion source)
- Knowledge of basic chemistry of small volatile organic molecules
How to apply?
Please send a detailed CV, motivation letter, contact information of 1 - 2 references andÂ form (see in attached file), by email to dryahinajh-inst.cas.cz before 28 February 2018. Please mention the keywords "postdoc position SESI" in the email subject line.
Mgr.Â Kseniya Dryahina, Ph. D.
Department of Chemistry of Ions in Gaseous Phase
J. HeyrovskĂ˝ Institute of Physical Chemistry of the CAS, v. v. i.
DolejĹˇkova 2155/3, 182 23 Prague 8, Czech Republic